Posted on October 18, 2012
We had another trip to prepare for, so in went the stairs/ladder and we finished up the exterior paint (aside from the door and touch-ups). After getting back from the northern VA adventures, it was time to finish the propane lines! Finally we could test the water heater, oven/stove, and the Newport P9000. As much as I wanted a woodstove (and still have the one I bought sitting in storage), this little heater is a good option for tiny houses because of how little clearance it needs around itself. I ended up buying the woodstove from myself to save for another house down the road 🙂
Besides all these pictures, I have a video treat for you all coming up. If only I could get it to load…I took today off from work, so I’ll do my best to post the vid today sometime in between my various construction projects.
Posted on May 24, 2012
YES! We finally started to frame the roof today. I am particularly excited about this because I can finally see the real height and design of the house in front of me instead of just in my head and on paper.
First we put up the ridge beam that we built about a week ago. It’s attached to each end of the house with metal brackets and desperately needed some support in the middle until the rest of the roof can keep it from sagging. The braces we keep making for the walls, dormers, and ridge beam have helped keep everything square as well until the framing is completely done. Next we started to frame out the “A” portion back over the loft area. The physical construction of the roof framing wasn’t too hard, but the math and angles were an absolute pain to figure out. The other issues with angles is how the pieces eat up 2x4s and create a ton of leftover bits…because each board needed to be just over 4 feet long, I couldn’t get 2 out of each 2×4 I had so there’s a sizable pile of scraps now. Don’t you worry! I’ll use them for something (interior items, firewood, turning them into sawdust for the composting toilet, donating to Habitat, etc.)
We also managed to frame out most of the above-dormer section that’s in the middle of the roof. There are some triangular parts that need more pieces and then some extensions out the front and back of the structure, but I’d say we’re 80% done with framing the roof!
Posted on May 23, 2012
Today we built the two dormers that sit on both sides in the middle of the house. I’m glad we went with this design to break up the roof line a bit and add more head room and storage on the inside. These were actually pretty easy to make…they’re essentially mini walls. The plans call for two windows in each dormer, but I removed one in order to gain some wall space inside. This will make more sense once we get the roof on and I can have pictures of this section all plywooded in.
We ended up building each dormer inside the wee house since the floor is clear and it’s a decent amount of space to work. Once one was built and installed up top, we built the other one in about 1/2 the time! Although the framing was pretty sturdy, we get strong winds up here on the mountain. The 2×4 you see going from one side to the other is just a temporary brace to keep the dormers from blowing off. Next up: roof framing 🙂