Early October Progress

We had another trip to prepare for, so in went the stairs/ladder and we finished up the exterior paint (aside from the door and touch-ups).  After getting back from the northern VA adventures, it was time to finish the propane lines!  Finally we could test the water heater, oven/stove, and the Newport P9000.  As much as I wanted a woodstove (and still have the one I bought sitting in storage), this little heater is a good option for tiny houses because of how little clearance it needs around itself.  I ended up buying the woodstove from myself to save for another house down the road 🙂

Besides all these pictures, I have a video treat for you all coming up.  If only I could get it to load…I took today off from work, so I’ll do my best to post the vid today sometime in between my various construction projects.

Build Day 37 (8/2/12)

The good news is that I’m finally caulking the siding and trim and whatnot.  The bad news is that it’s a very tedious task! After 2 of us working on it for about 3 hours, I think we’re 1/2 done with it.  We went all around the window and door trim and in EVERY seam between siding pieces, as well as where the siding butts the trim and around the wheels.  We didn’t get to caulk up top around the soffits, and there are some places that need touch-ups.  I apologize for the dark pics, but we were caulking until almost 9!

Build Day 24 (6/3/12)

A short workday but we managed to install the front door.  It’s steel with a venting window to help cool down the house since I’m not putting in A/C.  The original plans called for two windows on either side of the door, but I really wanted to use the space on the inside for storage rather than for windows.  I think this meets the window/wall space requirement I had in my head quite nicely.  As for hardware, I’m going to scrounge around the ReStore but I’ll probably have to get a new knob and deadbolt set.  Boooo!

The installation itself was easier than I thought.  I caulked the floor underneath the door to seal out the elements and such, then we popped in the door.  After testing the swing and squareness, it just needed some shims on the side and to be screwed into the studs.  A bit of caulk around the molding on the outside, and voilà!  We’ll start the trim whenever we get another dry day.

%d bloggers like this: