Last week I went back up to northern VA to be in the office for a few days, so the house sat untouched for a bit. Minor progress today due mostly to the weather and it’s supposed to rain off and on for the next few days. We managed to make the ridge beam that spans the length of the house and holds up the roof. Since we needed it to be longer than any 2x4s we could get, we put two together. To make it extra strong, each board was cut shiplap style, glued and screwed together.
….so that took all of 20 minutes. Over the weekend I cleaned up an old barn elsewhere on the property and salvaged some nice boards. They had nails sticking out and some of the ends were either torn up or rotten. To clean them up and get them ready for their new lives as shelving, I beat out the nails first. Next came clamping them onto the “work bench” (really the back of the Mule) and sawing off the bad parts. I haven’t sanded them yet, but will get around to it soon and seal them once I find an eco-friendly sealer or light stain. I hope to keep most of the weathered look though.
Categories: Tiny House Archive